And the Hits Just Keep on Coming...


Just when I thought we were on the mend and everyone in our house was well, the boys were hit again with nasty, snotty noses and coughs last week.  Really it's not a huge deal except for when you have a child with asthma.  Whenever Evan gets any kind of upper respiratory illness the wheezing starts and he has a horrible time breathing.  On Friday he woke up having a hard time breathing and I couldn't keep up with it all day.  We would do his inhaler and he would be fine for a little while but then the wheezing would start again.  I called his doctor and got him in and after a breathing treatment at the office he still was working hard to breathe.  His oxygen levels were OK but his doctor feared they would go down while sleeping so he ended up being admitted to the hospital so they could monitor him better, give him breathing treatments, and give him oxygen when needed.  What we thought was just an overnight stay ended up being all weekend and we went home on Monday morning.  He had to be off of oxygen for 24 hours and it took all weekend to get him there.  We are home now and doing all of the same treatment for him that he was getting in the hospital...we will continue with it until we go back in for a follow up this Friday.  Here are a few pictures from our little hospital adventure {taken with my iPhone so they are not the best quality}...


Friday Night...hanging out after Jeff and Ethan went home.  He loves being able to see himself on the phone while taking pictures...you can see his little hand waving to himself.  This is before the oxygen tube went in so we are somewhat happy.

They had a crib for him but I asked for them to take it out and bring a bed in so I could sit with him and sleep next to him.  I knew there was absolutely no way he would have been OK in the crib by himself...and boy was I right!  He was super-glued to me the entire time we were there.  I couldn't even go the bathroom without him freaking out.


Not so happy anymore.


No one should have to watch their child sleep with tubes going into them to help them breathe.  It puts life into perspective watching your child be sick...all of the silly little things I worry about all of a sudden didn't matter at all.


Luckily our toy cars kept Evan entertained along with Ethan who came and tore the place up.  This is the longest the two of them have spent apart from each other.  The hospital also had "Cars" as a choice for the movie channel and I'm pretty sure we watched it about 10 times.  As soon as it was over Evan always signed and said "finished" and then would point to the remote for me to call the nurses station to get them to start it over.  Smart little dude had it all figured out.

And YES...we are naked.  He spent all weekend like this.  He hated the hospital gown they put on him...he ripped it off in about 30 seconds of having it on.  Once he had his IV in and tubes in his nose it was too much to try and get him dressed.  I tired to keep him covered at night but he wanted none of that either.  Oh well...it's a battle I didn't care to fight...if he was happy then I was happy.



I made it through the weekend {on very little sleep} because we have awesome friends who kept the Starbucks coming my way.  And the love didn't stop there...we got texts and phone calls from people willing to watch Ethan and friends came to visit and love on Evan.  With no family here we are blessed by friends who have become our family and I am so thankful for everyone of them.

So...that was our little weekend adventure in the hospital.  We are probably going to get Evan in to see a Pulmonologist sometime soon to get to the bottom of his asthma and allergies and see what else we can be doing to help him.  An ER visit and hospitalization all in the same month is not good in my opinion and I think there is more we can be doing for him.  Praying for it to get much better in the near future so he can enjoy life breathing easy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you'll are back home...it was sad to see pictures of our little Evan in the hospital. I admire you and Jeff and how you have weathered the ups and downs of parenthood these past two years with Evan & Ethan. You are both AWESOME!!! Love and miss all of you lots!!!

Hugs & kisses,
Aunt Joanie xoxo

Meg said...

sweet angel!! i am so sorry you all had to go through that!! the pics of him broke my heart. praying, praying that he is on the mend & that you guys have a well, uneventful winter :)!! xoxo

Katie said...

Agreed that it is no fun to be in the hospital for breathing issues and their silly, little 24-hour rule! We've done it twice, but thankfully not for a few years. Glad you are all home and feeling better!